The Active And The Passive Voice

https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=629717503532797730#editor/target=post;postID=7330615258963910487



The Active and The Passive Voice

 1- What is the active ?



The passive voice is a sentence begins with the performer 

of 


the Action ( subject, verb , object or person ) this action 

is performed on So this is an active sentence 



Examples :



Subject
Verb
Object
Jack
Watched
The film



2- What is the passive voice ?

When we begin the sentence with the object or person that 


the Action is performed on and we formulate 


a passive sentence 

Example :


Object
Verb
By subject
The film
Was watched
By jack



3- When we use the passive voice ?


- the passive is not used in the present perfect 

continuous , the past perfect continuous



Or the future continuous for reasons of style

- we can use the passive in all other tenses and  in other 

verb form


1- when we do not know who the subject is

2- we want to give more important to the action or it is not 

important Who the subject is 

Example :


Somebody watched the film   


The film was watched



4- How you can formulate the passive 

Voice ?


To formulate a passive voice sentence :

A – We put the object of the verb at the beginning of our sentence

B - We  conjugate the Verb to be in the same tense like the 

active sentence

C – We put the main verb in the Past Participle form 


Example :


1- The teacher explains the lesson /   the lesson explained

2- My mother cooks the lunchthe lunch cooked

3- My sister is painting  my  room  /   my  room is being 

painted


4- someone took  my bookmy book was taken



Note1 :

If we want to mention the subject in a passive sentence , use By

My sister is painting  my  room / my  room is being painted by my sister






Note 2 :

If the active sentence begins with no-one or nobody

The passive sentence will be negative


Nobody turned on the light / the light was not turned on



Note  3

If there is a preposition between the verb and the object,

The preposition will remain after the verb

She talked about the issue / the issue was talked about


5-The passive voice of different tenses :




Tense
Active
Passive
Present simple
I do it
It is done
Present continuous
I am doing it
It is being done
Present perfect
I have done it
It has been done
Past simple
I did it
It was done
Past continuous
I was doing it
It was being done
Future simple
I will do it
It  will be done
Future continuous
I will be doing it
It will be being done
Future perfect
I will have done it
It will have been done
Future perfect continuous
I will have been doing it
Not common
Present perfect continuous
I have been doing it
Not common
Past perfect
I had done it
It had been done


I hope that you like the lesson any queries, please 

put down the suspension entry


For more Exercises Check here
 

Quote of the Day

“You'll never know everything about anything, especially something you love.”

- Julia Child

More Quotes