COMPLEX SENTENCE


COMPLEX SENTENCE


A complex sentence involves an independent

 clause or clauses and one or more dependent 

clauses. Subordinate conjunctions link them.

When Mr Brown returns from the meeting, I 

will give him your message.

I have come here because I want you to help 

me. I don't like the man who does the 

gardening here.

Main clause +
Subject clause



Predicative clause



Object clause



Attributive clause



Adverbial clause

Kind of clause
Usual conjunctions
Example
Subject clause
Who, which, what, where, when, how, why, etc.
What is done cannot be undone.
Predicate clause
That, if, whether, as if
The truth was that he didn 't love her.
Object clause
who, which, what
I don 't know what happened yesterday.
Attributive clause
Who, whose, which as, where, when
He is the customer whose address I lost.
 

Quote of the Day

“You'll never know everything about anything, especially something you love.”

- Julia Child

More Quotes